Human Resources Training for the Non-HR Manager
Almost all of us have some type of human resources responsibilities built into our job. After all, people are the key in any organization. Our goal for this course is to help you understand the responsibilities you currently have and to prepare you for tasks you may have to undertake in the future.
Available!Return to Store
After you complete this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss current issues in the human resource field and the changing role of supervisors and managers in terms of HR functions.
- Write job specifications and identify core competencies.
- Apply methods of finding, selecting, and keeping the best people using behavioral description interviewing techniques.
- Get new employees off to a good start.
- Understand compensation and benefits.
- Maintain healthy employee relations.
- Make performance appraisals a cooperative process.
Course Outline & Major Topics
- Defining Human Resources
- The Basics of HR Management
- Case Studies
- Performing a Skills Inventory
- The Role of Emotional Intelligence
- Skills Inventory Checklist
- Sample Skills Inventory Form
- Forecasting Techniques
- Defining Forecasting
- Identifying Job Competencies
- Technical Skills
- Performance Skills
- Competence Factors
- Defining Competencies
- Position Profiles and Job Descriptions
- Preparing for the Interview
- The Importance of Preparation
- Before the Interview
- The Interview Format
- Conducting the Interview
- History of the Interviewing Process
- A New Kind of Interview
- An Objective Interview
- The Right Stuff
- The Human Factor
- Basics of Behavioral Interviewing
- After the Interview
- Post-Interview Checklist
- Rating Techniques
- Employee Orientation and Onboarding
- Why Have Orientation?
- How Did Your Orientation Rate?
- Making Connections
- Problems to Avoid
- Planning the Orientation Program
- Planning Training
- The Training Cycle
- Advantages of a Training Needs Assessment (TNA)
- Training Needs Assessment (TNA) Process
- Internal vs. External Training
- Working with External Providers
- Criteria and Considerations
- Making the Most of External Providers
- Performance Reviews
- Performance Review Problems
- A Performance Management Checklist
- Objectives and Results Checklist
- Support Plan Checklist
- Managing a Diverse Workforce
- Dealing with Diversity
- Understanding Our Reactions
- Categories and Stereotypes
- Trends in Diversity
- Compensation and Benefits
- The Role of Compensation and Benefits
- Managing Disciplinary Issues
- Defining Discipline
- The Four Step Disciplinary System
- Terminating Employees
- Letting Staff Go
- The Psychology Surrounding Termination
- The Termination Meeting
- Case Study: How to Fire an Employee?
- Exit Interviews
- Designing the Exit Interview
- Sample Exit Questionnaire
*Receive a nationally recognized certificate for participation in this course
Who Should Take This Course?
- Team Members & Leaders
- Front Line Workers
- New Hires