Marijuana In the Workplace: Issues, Impacts and Responsibilities
The rules and responsibilities of Marijuana in the workplace are a topic employers and employees alike must be well versed in for today’s workplace. Especially in the food and manufacturing industry the use of cannabis during work hours can be a dangerous hazard for all parties involved. As such it is important to have appropriate policies in place governing it’s use, and clear training provided to all employees to mitigate risk. Join us as we explore the impact and responsibilities of Marijuana in the workplace.
Available!Return to Store
This course examines the roles and responsibilities of both Employers and Employees regarding Cannabis use in the workplace. There is an emphasis on preparing for and handling substance use in your human resources policies and procedures. The potential hazards on attendance, productivity, colleagues and other implications of marijuana use are explored in full.
With recent changes in legalization of marijuana recommended approaches to substance abuse are also shifting, instead of treating offences as a criminal activity it is recommended to approach it as a health concern. Connecting individuals in need with a rehabilitation plan and professional support they require is far more beneficial in the long term. A large percentage of marijuana users are currently actively employed in the workforce, a portion of this course concentrates on how to identify telltale signs of substance abuse, when as well as how to approach potential users in your workplace.
Review your knowledge of marijuana and weigh your workplace substance use policy against today’s standards and Canadian workplace expectations.
- Gain a better understanding of the different forms/types of marijuana are & their uses
- Understand how marijuana use affects a person physically, cognitively, and behaviorally
- Recognize the signs of marijuana impairment
- Define the potential issues marijuana use creates in the workplace
- Understand the legal rights of employers and employees
- Respond to incidents of suspected marijuana use in the workplace
- Develop a proactive workplace drug and alcohol policy
Course Outline & Major Topics
- Drugs and the Workplace
- Marijuana: learn about the cannabis plant
- Marijuana’s Impacts on the body
- Debunking the Myths
- Workplace impacts, productivity, and safety
- Medical Marijuana: Rights and Responsibilities
- The intervention process & difficult conversations
- Drug and Alcohol Policy
- Developing a Policy
- Drug & Alcohol Testing
- Applying the policy
- Developing a Personal Action Plan
- Course Summary
- Recommended Reading List
- Post-Course Assessment
- Course Completion
Who Should Take This Course?
- Business Owners
- Management & Supervisors
- Human Resource Professionals